What Are the Biggest Fire Hazards in Your Home?

 In Blog

Did you know what the biggest fire hazards are in your home? Many common household items can potentially be dangerous if not attended to. House fires can be devastating and even deadly. They can also often be avoided with when precautions are taken. Keep your home and your family safe when you practice fire safety tips and become aware of the biggest hazards in your own home.

Candles Left Unattended

Though candles are usually harmless when left unattended that can be very dangerous. Candles can bring nice scent and a cozy feel into a room, but they are still an open flame and as such, they should be watched carefully. When you are using a candle, be sure to keep it supervised at all times and keep it away from anything flammable. It’s also a good idea to keep all candles out of the reach of children.

Space and Water Heaters

Heating equipment is involved in 1 of every 6 house fires—many of these fires occur during the winter season. To avoid danger with your heaters, never leave a space heater plugged in and unattended. Never plug more than one heating appliance into the same outlet. Keep heaters away from anything flammable, such as clothing, bedding, curtains, etc.

Electrical Chords

Electrical fires are often the culprits for house fires. They can be caused by a circuit overload, an overheated appliance, or equipment malfunction. Be sure to repair and replace any damage or frayed chords. Not all electrical issues are so visible, many go unnoticed. Avoid keeping too much plugged and an overloading a circuit. If you’re consistently tripping your power, you may have an electrical problem.

Cooking Devices and Kitchen Fires

Fires in the kitchen are extremely common. Whether it’s from your stove, oven, microwave, or another heating element, there are fire hazards all over the kitchen. Be alert when cooking and do not leave cooking food unattended. Keep anything flammable, such as hot pads, towels, and wooden utensils any from any heat source.

Smoking

Any sort of smoking materials such as cigarettes, cigars, or pipes can be very dangerous when they are lit up indoors. Be sure to light up outside. Before throwing away buds, be certain they are completely out. You may need to douse them in water. To avoid other dangers, keep any lighters, matches out, or ashtrays of reach of children. They may unknowingly knock them over and start a fire.

Fireplace Care

A fireplace is usually a safe place for a fire, but it can quickly turn dangerous if your fireplace has not been cared for properly. Keep your chimney cleaned and have it checked by a professional at least once a year. It’s almost important to clean out ashes from previous fires. If a fire is too hot to touch it is too hot to leave. Don’t leave hot debris unattended. Safety screens can also help you to avoid any popped fire dangers or potential burns.

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Disaster Proofing Your HomeSigns You Have Mold in Your Home