The Effects of Mold on Your Health

 In Blog, Mold Damage

What is mold?

Mold is a sporous fungus that grows indoors and outdoors in warm, damp, and humid conditions. It is often found in basements, attics, or homes in humid climates or that have been exposed to moisture. There are thousands of different kinds of mold. Mold is common and in small amounts, it’s usually harmless. The trouble is when mold starts to grow—this will lead to spores being released into the air. When mold spores are inhaled in larger quantities, it can cause health problems for those with a mold allergy.

What is a mold allergy?

If you are sensitive to mold spores, you may have a mold allergy—meaning that your immune system will overreact to mold exposure. When your immune system is overly sensitive, it recognizes something foreign (such as mold spores) as an invader and develops antibodies to fight it—i.e. an allergic reaction.

How does it affect me?

Symptoms of a mold allergy include sneezing, watery and itchy eyes, dry skin, runny nose, post nasal drip, scratchy throat, or for more serious mold allergies, it may even lead to shortness of breath or asthma attacks. You may also be more sensitive to mold if you have a weakened immune system, are recovering from a recent transplant or cancer treatment, or are on a medication that suppresses your immune system.

Don’t let mold take over your house. Before it grows and becomes a serious problem, reach out to Restoremasters for mold removal. We’ll get you back in your home feeling safe in no time.

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Home Fire Pit: Safety Precautions You Should Be Taking10 Things You May Not Know About Mold