Did you notice the foggy haze that sat on the Salt Lake Valley last month? This was a result of the forest fires happening in the Western states of the U.S. namely California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. So far these fires destroyed over 7.6 million acres of land. Living in a dry state, we are at greater risk of fire. To prevent any accidental fires, here are a few things you can do to make sure your house and family stay safe.

Be Careful Grilling

Ever year, 5,700 grill-related fires occur in homes across the U.S. When grilling, make sure you are in an open environment with no branches, overhang or roof above you that could accidentally catch fire. Grill fires often start by mishandling the igniting of the grill with a spark, ember or flame so again, keep things clear.

Check the Electrical System

Especially if you’re living in an older home, you’ll want to check your electrical system to see that it is grounded. Having a grounded system directs the currents’ flow to the ground rather than through your appliances, which prevents fire. Also, check your electrical panel to make sure you have enough amps so that your circuit breakers don’t constantly switch off. This constant switching is a fire hazard.

Clean the Dryer Vent

If not cleaned out, overtime lint will build up in the dryer vent. We’re not talking about the lint trap but the vent itself. This build up and the repeated extreme heat that comes from drying clothes cause a risk of fire.

Have the Proper Equipment

Make sure your house is properly equipped with a fire alarm with fresh batteries. There is no point in having an alarm if the batteries are dead. It’s a good idea to have fire extinguishers in the house incase a fire starts. Know how to operate one in case of an emergency.

After a hot and dry summer our state is vulnerable to fire. Take these precautions to avoid an unwanted disaster and to make sure your family and home is safe. These things are simple but doing them will save you a lot of heartache.

Comments are closed.