How To Avoid Fire Hazards In The Bedroom
Any fire in your home is bad, but one of the most dangerous places to have a fire is in the bedroom. But unfortunately, that is where most fires start! Many people have died from fires started in the bedroom. The good news is that there are many things you can do to make your bedroom a safe and comfortable place in your home. Here’s how you can avoid fire hazards in the bedroom
Misusing Electrical Equipment
There are many ways to misuse electrical equipment which can ultimately lead to a fire in the bedroom. The first thing it to is make sure you aren’t plugging in any cords near your bed, curtains, clothes, or rags. You should make sure cords aren’t trapped near the wall or under carpets or rugs. Make sure you are using extension cords appropriately and they aren’t working too hard. It is easy for any of these electrical items to get too hot or short circuit, and start a fire.
Unattended Electrical Devices
Never leave electrical devices unattended in your bedroom. This includes things like space heaters which should be level, and kept far from flammable items at all times. Even a laptop left on your bed can overheat and start a fire. If you need to charge electronic devices, try to do it during the day when you’re awake.
Check Electrical Appliances
Faulty appliances are one of the major causes of fires, especially during the winter months when you use more heat, lights and gadgets. One way to avoid this fire hazard is by having your heater, air conditioner, fans, and other electrical cords/appliances checked out by a trained professional. If you notice a cord that is cracked or frayed, replace it. If any electrical appliance malfunctions, replace it immediately.
Children are curious, and there is nothing more interesting for them (and some adults!) than fire. Make sure lighters and matches are out of reach of children. It’s also a good idea to remove as many combustible items from their room as possible, like paper, rags, and curtains. A great way to keep your children safe is to have open dialogue with them about the dangers of fire.
Besides the health risks, smoking in the bedroom also puts you at risk for starting a fire. Save your lungs and your home and don’t smoke in bed.
By paying attention to these small details, you can save a life. Rest easy knowing your bedrooms are safe now that you’re armed with the knowledge to avoid fire hazards. Even with these precautions, it is best to have an emergency plan so that your family will be prepared in the worst of situations.
Another way to stay prepared is to have a restoration company you know and trust. RestoreMasers are experts in fire, as well as flood and mold restoration. If you ever find yourself in the wake of a fire, flood, or with mold in your home, let RestoreMasters make things right again.